Ironstone Media is committed to reducing its environmental impact. Our efforts over the last decade have seen a significant reduction in natural resources and manufacturing materials consumption. Our greener production environment has also translated into savings that we are able to pass on to our customers.
Ironstone Media is FSC® certified, proudly offering our customers a vast selection of forest–friendly Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) certified papers.
The FSC is an international, membership–based, non–profit organization that supports environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world's forests.
Our certification ensures a documented chain of custody, so customers can be confident that their contribution to the environment is realized, allowing them to show readers, clients and advertisers that the materials in their hands were manufactured using responsible forestry management practices.
This means that wildlife, water, forest workers, Indigenous Peoples—literally anyone and anything affected by changes in the forest will benefit from the selection of FSC Certified papers. It represents strong forward thinking and a measurable commitment to future generations.
We are committed to minimizing our environmental impact, constantly looking for greener solutions for our day–to–day operations. We've taken on other initiatives to reduce our consumption of energy, making sure that only what is needed is used.
We're always looking for ways to improve, to do things better and give you the most value for the money you spend.
- We recycle an elephant a day. Every item of paper waste is recycled, from the office to the pressroom and finishing departments—about 2,500 tonnes per year in total.
- Our house stock contains a minimum of 10 percent post–consumer waste.
- All waste production chemicals are stored on–site and later processed by licensed facilities in accordance with environmental regulations—none of our chemicals ever make it into the water table or city drains.
- The inks we use are partially vegetable oil based. All left over ink is stored and processed at licensed facilities.
- All of our used press oils are sent out for testing, cleaning and returned for reuse.
- All press oven emissions are treated through a modern Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer, eliminating virtually all VOCs while using a fraction of the natural gas required by previous technologies.